Holscher to guide key programming and initiatives related to gastrointestinal microbiome.
WASHINGTON (PRWEB) SEPTEMBER 24, 2019
The Grain Foods Foundation is excited to announce the addition of Hannah Holscher, PhD, RD, to its Scientific Advisory Board. Dr. Holscher is an Assistant Professor of Nutrition in the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition and the Division of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, where she has affiliate appointments with the Institute of Genomic Biology (IGB), the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), and the Family Resiliency Center.
A clinical and research dietitian, Dr. Holscher leads the Nutrition and Human Microbiome Laboratory, where she and her team study the links between diet, gut microbes, and health in order to inform dietary recommendations that enhance human health and wellbeing.
“Given that the majority of adult Americans are now at risk for metabolic diseases, there’s never been a better time to add Dr. Holscher’s expertise to the Foundation,” said Christine Cochran, executive director for the Grain Foods Foundation. “Her groundbreaking microbiome research is producing the practical, evidence-based dietary recommendations that can improve lives, and we look forward to raising its visibility among both the nutrition community and the public.”
As a researcher who seeks to amplify her findings beyond the nutritional journals where they so often appear, Holscher shares this goal.
“It’s an honor to be joining the Scientific Advisory Board,” Holscher said. “There’s a tremendous amount of misinformation out there when it comes to diet and nutrition, and I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to help not only combat it, but replace it with the fact-based information that the Grain Foods Foundation champions.”
Dr. Holscher joins the current members of the Scientific Advisory Board:
- Glenn Gaesser, PhD (Chairman), Professor of Exercise Science and Health Promotion and Director of the Healthy Lifestyles Research Center at Arizona State University;
- Dyan Hes, MD, owner and medical director of Gramercy Pediatrics in New York City;
- Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, DBA, MS, RD, LDN, founder of Hispanic Food Communications;
- Richard D. Mattes, MPH, PhD, RD, Distinguished Professor of Nutrition Science at Purdue University;
- Julie Miller Jones, PhD, LN, CNS, Professor Emeritus at St. Catherine University;
- Bruce Young, MD, Silverman Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at New York University School of Medicine;
- Angela Ginn-Meadow, RD, LDN, CDE, Senior Education Coordinator at the University of Maryland’s Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology;
- Pamela Cureton, RD, LDN, Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
About Grain Foods Foundation
Formed in 2004, Grain Foods Foundation (GFF) is a group of thought leaders and advocates for ALL grain foods and believes everybody needs grain food to enjoy a happy and healthy life. Committed to nutrition education programming that is firmly rooted in science, GFF is a strong advocate for our members, and a resource for consumers and the media who want to learn more about the role of grains in a well-balanced eating pattern. GFF offers research-based information and resources to members, partners, influencers, policymakers and consumers through a comprehensive communications campaign, conferences, webinars, research tools, social media and more. GFF is committed to bringing fact-based information and common sense to the consumer. For more information, visit grainfoodsfoundation.org.
There’s never been a better time to add Dr. Holscher’s expertise to the Foundation. Her groundbreaking microbiome research is producing the practical, evidence-based dietary recommendations that can improve lives.